Physical Education is an essential subject in the Western Australian Curriculum and is taught for a minimum of 120 minutes throughout the school, Kindy – Year 6 over the course of a week. Rivergums Primary School is fortunate to offer the community two specialist Physical Education teachers that provide students with a vast level of opportunities as they develop their physical abilities and progress through primary school.
In Physical Education, students learn how to enhance their own and others’ health, safety, wellbeing and physical activity participation in varied and changing contexts. The Physical Education curriculum offers students an experiential program that is contemporary, relevant, challenging, enjoyable and physically active.
In addition to direct instructional time with a specialist teacher, students in Yr 3 – 4 take part in Middle School Sport every Thursday afternoon for 60 minutes under the supervision classroom teachers and a PE specialist teacher. For the Yr 5 – 6 students Senior School Sport occurs every Friday afternoon and is structured the same with two year levels all participating in organised sport during a specific time.
- Term 1: Faction Swimming Carnival
- Term 2: Faction Cross Country Carnival
- Term 3: Interm Swimming Lessons
- Term 4: Faction Athletics Carnival
BASSA – Baldivis Area Schools Sport Association
- Term 1: Interschool Swimming Carnival (Yr 4 – 6) & Summer Carnival (Yr 5 – 6)
- Term 2: Interschool Cross Country Carnival (Y. 3 – 6) & Winter Carnival (Yr 5 – 6)
- Term 3: N/A
- Term 4: Interschool Athletics Carnival (Yr 3 – 6)
The following organisations have visited our school and provided fun and informative clinics to our students.
- AFL – West Australian Football Commission
- HOCKEY – Rockingham District Hockey Club
- RUGBY UNION – Rugby Australia
- FUTSAL – Football West
- ATHLETICS – Athletics Australia
- CRICKET – The WA Cricket Association
- ULTIMATE FRISBEE – Ultimate Australia
- SURFING – Learn to Surf WA
At Rivergums Primary School Interm Swimming is offered each year to students in Pre- primary – Yr 6 as part of our Physical Education program. Over the course of two weeks students are provided with quality swimming lessons to assist them to develop vital swimming and water safety skills.